Congolese Army Commanders orchestrated a wave of massacres that killed hundreds of people in north-eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a new report said on Monday. Hundreds of people were killed between 2014 and 2016 as they vied for influence with anti-government insurgents.
The report by the Congo Research Group (CRG) at New York University is the most comprehensive to date on the killings of more than 800 people and the first to offer a definite theory of the perpetrators’ motives. It is based on 249 interviews with perpetrators, eyewitnesses and victims as well as internal U.N. reports and arrest records that document participation in the killings.
Millions died in eastern Congo between 1996 and 2003 in regional conflicts and dozens of militia groups continued to operate there but the massacres around the town of Beni were the most macabre and mysterious in recent memory. CRG cited multiple witnesses that said that army commanders, including the former top general in the zone, supported and in some cases organised the killings.
During some massacres, sources told CRG, soldiers secured the perimeter so that victims could not escape. Congo government spokesperson Lambert Mende, said a number of high-ranking officers had been convicted for their roles in the massacres but criticised CRG for “trying to revive an old affair’’. The general named in the report, Muhindo Akili Mundos, has repeatedly denied any personal responsibility.
The report recommended a parliamentary investigation and U.N Security Council sanctioned individuals involved in the violence around Beni. Several senior Congolese militia leaders, including a former vice president in a power-sharing government, have been convicted by the International Criminal Court in The Hague for crimes committed during wars in Congo and in neighbouring Central African Republic.
According to the report, the first massacres were orchestrated in 2013 by former leaders of the Popular Congolese Army (APC), the armed wing of a rebellion from Congo’s in 1998 to 2003 war, who were trying to prepare a new insurrection and undermine confidence in the central government. These rebels often worked in collaboration with militiamen from the Allied Democratic Forces, a Ugandan Islamist group active in the area. Congo’s government and U.N. peacekeeping missions blamed almost all the killings on the ADF.
However, when the large-scale massacres began one of which claimed as many as 200 lives in October 2014, army commanders in the zone co-opted many of the networks of local militia in an effort to weaken their rivals, the report said. “Government forces discovered pre-existing plans for killings and responded by co-opting these groups and continuing the massacres. “For these officers, controlling the armed groups in the region was more important and perhaps more feasible than bringing an end to the violence,’’ it said.
The new report did not take a position on whether local commanders received orders to conduct the massacres from Congo’s central government but said “it would have been difficult for Kinshasa to be unaware of their undertakings’’. Large-scale killings around Beni have mostly abated this year but militia violence has otherwise surged across Congo, fueled in part by President Joseph Kabila’s refusal to step down when his mandate expired in December 2016. CRG is a non-profit body directed by Jason Stearns, a former U.N. investigator in Congo and author of a book about Congo’s civil wars.
© 2022 Nigerian Canadian Newspaper Canada. Powered by NASCI.