“But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship Him that way.” –John 4:23
As believers, we’re called to worship God “in spirit and in truth”. Jesus is the Truth. That statement implies we may not worship in spirit and in truth. That is the tragedy of worship in this generation. A lot of activity in futility. Worship is a powerful spiritual exercise in any believer’s life when it’s done in spirit and truth.
In order to worship in truth, we must know the truth. Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” Jn 14:6. Many think just coming to church or joining the church in liturgical worship is worshipping God; no it is not. To truly worship God you must have encountered God by having a personal relationship with God, knowing your sins are forgiven. We must continually renew our minds to the Word of God by spending time studying every day (Romans 12:2). When our minds are renewed to what He says is truth (and not the world), we will be able to come to Him and worship Him in spirit and in truth.
Why must we worship God? We worship God because he is Lord, Lord means owner! He owns us. There are over 600 million galaxies, He is the owner! We worship God because he is worthy, He also inhabits the praises of His people. Worship is not to human beings or angels. When Nebuchadnezzar wanted to take the praise meant for God he became an animal. When Herod refused to give the glory to God angels slapped him and worms oozed out of him spontaneously!
Let’s look at how to worship God.
1. In genuine praise. Praising God is our primary purpose. He created us for His pleasure and one of the pleasures of God is to receive our praise. You can praise Him in church, or anywhere, with organized music, or your “mouth as the organ”, with instruments or without by shouting, dancing, singing, lifting up hands, meditating, even in silence! The only thing that God accepts as food is praise. Not pounded yam, Ghana Jollof or Singapore salad. Praising God is itemizing what he has done. David said “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies” Psalm 103:2-4
2. Through loving people. That is why you have to be born again. You can’t say you love God whom you have not seen. A non-regenerated mind finds it difficult to love human beings. “Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour and hate thine, enemy.44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;” Matt 5:43-44. How did Jesus worship God, he loved people enough that he died for them and took away their sins.
3. Through Serving others. Serve others, serve at the church, serve your family. Serve in the community. Serve the nation. If from Monday to Saturday, you are stealing, misappropriating government funds, stealing the commonwealth of the people, no amount of your exercises on Sunday will amount to worshipping God, at best you are worshipping Satan and your belly! Serve because Jesus came as a Servant (Matthew 20:28; John 12:26). One way to serve others is to ask them the simple question: “How may I help you?” Another way to serve others is to read what the Bible says in all the “one another” passages and live them out (John 13:34; Romans 14:19; Galatians 6:1-2; James 5:16 – and more).
4. Worship through giving. When you worship the Lord through giving, you are saying to God, “All I have is Yours.” God does not need your money, but He wants your heart. You cannot claim to be worshipping God if all you do is get his blessing, that means he is serving you. Giving is worship because it is a privilege and an act borne out of love, not from a command. One important reason believers should worship through giving is because of the example of Jesus: He gave “His life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45)The early worshippers gave their substance.”And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.” Acts 2:45
5. Through Fellowship and Prayer. You cannot worship God in isolation. Jesus did not. The apostles did not. You cannot. I am not saying you cannot prostrate in your bedroom and worship or pray to God, I am saying worshipping God involves fellowship and congregations, called liturgical or corporate worship. “And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;” Acts 2:43- 44. You see the result that came from corporate worship- it is called church growth.
Interesting fact: You also benefit from worshipping God. For example, worship played a vital role in the Israelites’ winning their first battle after entering the Promised Land (Joshua 6). You shall win the battle of life. It was instrumental in Paul and Silas’ release from prison (Acts 16:24-26). Every bondage in your life shall go in Jesus name.
Conclusion. Space will not allow us to delve more deeply into worship. I encourage you to study more about true worship. May the Lord help you to worship God on earth and through eternity.
This is the concluding part of our three-part series, Who is Jesus? why worship Jesus? and how to worship Jesus.
O taste and see that the Lord is good.(Psalm 34:8). I have tasted and found that the Lord is good. I do testify that the Lord is good.Join me to taste him.
SUPPORT NIGERIAN CANADIAN NEWS
If you like our work and want to keep enjoying what we offer, kindly support us by donating to the Nigerian Canadian News through the button below
Share your thoughts in the comments section below
Do you want to share any news or information with us? If yes, contact the publisher at email@example.com