By: Pastor Taiwo Odubiyi
A woman needs to make the home homely and welcoming for her husband. The home must be a place he wants to come to at the end of the day. It must be a place of rest, comfort, and love.
The problem is that if the home is not such, Delilah’s house is waiting for him.
However, the men need to know that Delilah’s house leads to death. If you’re not happy with your wife, stay in it and work on your marriage. Being unhappy in your marriage is not an excuse to turn to another woman. Marriage is not about personal happiness, it’s about God, and building a home together with your spouse.
Wives, take note of something: Samson knew that Delilah wanted to kill him yet he kept going to her house.
It was because her house was inviting.
Her appearance was inviting.
Her food was inviting.
Her company was inviting.
And so, as a wife, be teachable and learn. Be mentored, and be careful because there are many Delilahs out there.
Some Delilahs work in offices, some are in university, some are even married, while some are in the church.
And so, wives, learn to be patient, prayerful, careful, and wise.
Let your spouse know how you feel about a matter. Don’t assume he knows or that he should have known. It’s most likely he would not know. Communicate your feelings to him, in a nice way.
If you need to correct your spouse or communicate your displeasure, calm down, pray, and choose your words with care. Remember, what you want to achieve is a good marriage. Look for a gentle way to start the conversation.
Married men: The Bible warns against adultery, and here are some verses from Proverbs 5, to consider.
- My son, pay attention to my wisdom; listen carefully to my wise counsel.
- Then you will show discernment, and your lips will express what you’ve learned.
- For the lips of an immoral woman are as sweet as honey, and her mouth is smoother than oil.
- But in the end she is as bitter as poison, as dangerous as a double-edged sword.
- Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave.
- For she cares nothing about the path to life.
She staggers down a crooked trail and doesn’t realize it.
7. So now, my sons, listen to me.
Never stray from what I am about to say:
8. Stay away from her!
Don’t go near the door of her house!
9. If you do, you will lose your honor
and will lose to merciless people all you have achieved.
10. Strangers will consume your wealth,
and someone else will enjoy the fruit of your labor.
11. In the end you will groan in anguish
when disease consumes your body.
12. You will say, “How I hated discipline!
If only I had not ignored all the warnings!
13. Oh, why didn’t I listen to my teachers?
Why didn’t I pay attention to my instructors?
14. I have come to the brink of utter ruin,
and now I must face public disgrace.”
15. Drink water from your own well—
share your love only with your wife.
16. Why spill the water of your springs in the streets,
having sex with just anyone?
17. You should reserve it for yourselves.
Never share it with strangers.
18. Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you.
Rejoice in the wife of your youth.
19. She is a loving deer, a graceful doe.
Let her breasts satisfy you always.
May you always be captivated by her love.
20. Why be captivated, my son, by an immoral woman,
or fondle the breasts of a promiscuous woman?
21. For the lord sees clearly what a man does,
examining every path he takes.
22. An evil man is held captive by his own sins;
they are ropes that catch and hold him.
23. He will die for lack of self-control;
He will be lost because of his great foolishness.